Logos are one of the most important aspects of your branding promotion. They stand apart as that individual sales pitch that represents your brand in an important way. It can work for you or against you, depending on the quality and appeal of your logo.
So we’ve established that your logo is important and it is one of the first things people see that represents your brand. How will you get your logo designed if you don’t have one? Perhaps you already have a logo, but you think it needs some improvements. Should you have a professional logo team do it or is a freelance design enough?
In this post, we will explore the value of both, and you can decide which one is best for you.
The Value of Freelance Designers
Before we get into discussing the value of professional design teams, we do want to put in a word about freelancers. There are all types of freelancers these days, and you have to look in the right places and talk to the right people. But some freelancers are extremely skilled and talented. Many businesses have been jubilant by hiring a freelancer of one sort of another for a variety of jobs including logo design, content writing, artistic and graphic design, and software design, to name a few.
However, you have to do your homework to make sure you are getting a professional. Much of this depends on how dedicated the freelancer is to his or her career as a designer. Some freelancers are college students who are studying their craft while making a few dollars on the side. Others are highly professional entrepreneurs who happen to have more than one talent and are operating on a freelance basis (which means they don’t work for any one company alone).
Freelancers also have the freedom to take on several projects at once. However, you will want to find out what the time requirements are for your logo design and also check their rates. You should know how much you will pay for the time and expertise you are getting from the freelancer and then weigh whether this is a good decision for your business.
There’s nothing wrong with hiring a freelance designer but remember these people tend to be more artistic and independent and may have their ideas about how to do things and are not as likely to listen to suggestions from business owners, in general.
The Advantages of a Professional Design Team
Unlike freelance designers, a professional design team is dedicated 100% to their business, and it’s all about logo design. It’s not just one skill in a continuum of other skills like you see with some freelancers. It is a business that knows that it must focus on logo design and do this exclusively.
So what you are often getting when you hire a professional design team is a dedicated staff of professionals who focus only on their clients’ projects. They may also get more into the details of your project faster since they typically have more people than a freelancer to have on the project.
Remember that a freelancer is somewhat of a “lone wolf.” Think of a writer, a painter, or a mad scientist, alone in their writing or painting studio (or science lab), whatever the case may be. We’re being funny here, but the point is true. Freelancers think of themselves as independent agents, not employees.
Professional design team members consider themselves employees or owners of the design business and they are more dedicated to keeping their customers happy over the long term.
There are certainly exceptions to this. Some freelancers are completely great business people, too. Ideally, if you do decide to use a freelancer, find one who is also a business owner and who plans to take their company to a new level in the future. These people are working on building their reputation, they tend to be more in tune with best practices in business, and they will likely be more dependable.
How to Choose Your Design Team
If you decide you need to entrust your logo with a design team, congratulations! This is an important decision for your business and one that should not be taken lightly. Your logo is just too important to trust to chance or to any other factors that may influence the outcome. You need a dedicated professional design team who is committed to your business and who will take the time to learn about what your business is about before designing your logo.
When choosing a professional design team, consider the following factors:
- Ability to capture your branding in a logo– One of the features of a good design team is the ability to truly capture your brand within your logo. This is not as easy as it sounds and you should work with your design team so that they understand what you want to capture.
- Understanding of your industry and company values– One mark of a great design company is one that takes the time to listen to your company values and tries to capture this within your logo. Make sure the design company you choose is willing to take the time is takes to get to know your brand.
- Ability to listen to what you want– Good design team experts want to please their customer. Choose a design team who will listen to your needs and will do what you want. That’s what you’re paying them for.
- Professional results– Ask to see a portfolio before you deal with a design company so that you can see what they can do. Any design company that is worth their salt will have a current portfolio on their site that displays some of their recent work.
- Fast turnaround time– How long will it take the design team to produce your logo? Find out what the average turnaround time is with the team you are considering. You have to give them ample time to work on it, but you should have a reasonable time that you can expect it to be completed.
- Reasonable pricing– Design teams charge more than freelancers, on average. But the results is also usually better than what you get with some freelancers. So you are paying for their excellent professionalism and ability to offer you a good deal for their work. Whether or not a price is fair should be based on the quality of the work, the amount of time put into the project, and other factors.
It’s About Your Brand
Whether you choose a freelancer or a professional design team to do your logo, remember, it’s about your brand. It’s important. You don’t want to throw out just any logo and hope it works. Do your homework. Talk to the specialists at LogoDesignTeam.com. We can recommend some ideas for your logo and show you examples that we have done in the past.
We understand the importance of capturing your company ideas in your logo. We’ll listen to your thoughts and try to implement what you want in your logo.
They just don’t accuse us on being, one of the top 5 designing companies in the world for nothing. Want to get noticed? We make that possible. See us today and present your new face to the world in 2017.