Did you know that businesses are not the only ones that need a great logo? Schools, churches, and even and non-profit organizations need a great logo, as well. People often look for churches to visit when they are on vacation and away from their home church, as well as many other times when they just want to find a church to attend on a regular basis.
While churches are not usually in the business of making money, even non-profit organizations need a logo.
Why have a church logo?
If you are in charge of a church in your area and you are wondering whether you need a logo or not, consider these factors:
1. People who are looking for a church may type in “churches in my area” on Google, and they may only see the logo.– When people are trying to find a church that they are interested in, they may look for a church through local searches, primarily. They may not know the name of your church if they are new to the area, so they may perform a search to locate one.
If you have a logo that can be found in the searches, you will get more local results than if you only have a website without a logo.
2. Google sometimes returns photo or image results first in the searches.– Searchers can choose how they look for a church. They may just do a search within their immediate area, type in the name of a particular type of church, or search “images only.” Additionally, Google sometimes returns image results that appear in an obvious place within the search. If you have an attractive and distinct logo, it will show up in the search results so that people can find it easier.
3. A professional logo makes your church look dignified and professional.– If you have a professional logo, you present your church in a professional and dignified manner that people expect from a church or religious organization.
4. It’s important that your logo is unique and differs from other church logos in your area.– Just like a business, a church organization needs to be unique, and it should be different from other churches. Even though church groups are not inherently as competitive as companies, they still want to distinguish themselves from others.
5. A professional logo lets you create a unique identity with your parishioners and members.– It’s important not only to create a logo that others will recognize and respond to, but you should also create a logo that will resonate with your members and parishioners. When your members like how your website, blog, and logo look, they have a better feeling about their organization, and it helps them to feel that it is important.
The Business of Churches
Churches have a different objective than businesses. Their philosophy is based on the Bible or the religious teachings of God. Their purpose tends to be to convert the lost, help the needy, and spread the word to others. The money they raise is usually on an individual basis from their members who want to contribute to the efforts of the church for benevolent or missionary works.
At the same time, they offer a home congregation that their members can attend that they want them to feel good about. Visitors should also feel welcome by what they see of the church when they come to visit.
How to Capture Your Church’s Personality in your Logo
When designing a logo for your church or congregation, you may want to keep the following components in mind:
- Church organization– One component of your church is the organizational aspect. This can include the minister, elders or deacons, and others who are responsible for running the church or keeping things going forward. Try to think of a way to capture this aspect with your logo.
- Music/special projects– For some churches, music is a very important component of their church. How can you capture this in your logo? Perhaps the use of a musical note or another symbol may work to symbolize this.
- Mission– The work of your church such as the mission that you strive to achieve or what you want to get across is important to the image that you portray about your organization. Think about what is important to your congregation when creating your logo.
- Benevolence– There are some symbols that you can use for benevolent work that you should look into when trying to communicate this idea. One example of this can be found on our website.
- Building and location– Though the building does not make up a church, it is a part of the organization and where they normally worship. If you want to include something about the building, try using a logo similar to this one that shows a church building and steeple.
More Examples of Great Church Logos
Here are a few samples of great church logos that focus on a particular aspect or aspects of their organization. Browse through these examples, then check out our entire online portfolio to see more.
Holy Leaf Society
This logo for the Holy Leaf Society features two leaves with stalks that cross over to form a capital “H” that stands for the name of their religious organization.
The logo for the Cambell Church focuses on the building. It features a colored sketch drawing of a tall building that is etched in gold with the name of the church at the bottom. This is an idea if you want to emphasize that you have a particularly large or unique building or want to project the idea of growth and purpose.
Elevation Youth Ministries’ logo features a small letter, “e” with a cross at the top of the image that seems to be moving in an “upward” direction. This idea can communicate growth and activity. It may also be symbolic of Heaven or God since the movement goes upward.
Getting help with your logo
Some churches have technical experts who do their logo for them. Many are quite good at designing their own. If you need help, however, in creating the best logo for your organization or church, we’re here to help.
We understand that churches and religious organizations want to take a more subtle approach than a business and that their purpose is different than that of a business. However, it’s still important to project the image that you want to portray in a unique way.
Projecting an Image
Think about what your mission is for your church. Creating an image and presence for your church online through your website, social media, and your logo are factors that will help bring in new people to your congregation. You can also use your logo on your physical materials as well. This will help increase your efforts to meet your goals as a church. So get some ideas together and contact us.