Why is the concept of typography design important in today’s digital world? For a layman, the words typography and fonts are same; they are used interchangeably by the people. From the point of a graphic designer, although, there is a huge difference in between them. In the vast creative world of graphic designing, the professionals of the sector have started to understand the importance of these two aspects and have consensually acknowledged their roles in the modern design. Typography especially has various designing tutorials on the internet that help the professionals to explore new ideas and options to make their future works unique and wonderful.
So what is typography?
In the most basic words, it is the process of method of arranging the types and letters which affects the graphics designing projects to a great extent. The components that are affected to a great extent are:
- Typeface choice
- Color palette
- Point size
- Length of line
- Integration and design between other elements
Typography fundamentals & purpose
Since typography is closely merged with graphic design, a lot of people, have misconception that it is used to make a website look beautiful. The fundamental of typography is not only that, but it is there to enhance the readability of the webpage and other graphic projects. It builds up a wonderful graphic design step by step.
The importance of Typography
95% of websites are covered with content where typography is the art that displays them in style. It is impossible for even the designers to forget this sometimes.
- Content brings the users to the website
- Content keeps the user hooked to the website
- Typography makes the content easy to be perceived
Here’s a list of suggestions as bonus points for every designer out there:
1. The right fonts give graphics of the website an effective appeal that conveys the purpose of the website and its business to the people. If you want to select the right font, 1st of all, review the very core purpose of the product, content, article or the brand. Once the font is se3lected, then choose a design typeface that reflects its purpose.
2. Align and arrange texts in the website so that the content can have a great impact on its readability. In the art of typography, there are four types of alignment, justified, left, right and center. Now, with tools like CSS AND Photoshop on the use, the designers can align texts however one feels like.
3. Use the typography art in its truest form so that the message of the text is skillfully reflected. In fact, a well-though out graphic element coupled with amazing and interesting texts can very well portray your vision in a communicative way.
4. There is a golden rule that the more a content is crucial, the larger should be the font-size. It is imperative for the designers to understand and learn to use the font size to the advantage of the designs so that the message is easily reflected in the project.
5. Using a lot of typefaces can be creative and also it is user-friendly; but keep in mind the factor(s) of user-friendliness, so that the audience do not feel lost in their way, otherwise the traffic of the page will be heavily affected.
“…type is a beautiful group of letters, not a group of beautiful letters.”
– Matthew Carter
Let’s know the big players of typography fonts:
Serif: It is the slight projection at the end of each letter strokes which is evident commonly at the letter bottoms. Some fonts have a little feet like feature on them which characterizes them as Serif-styles fonts. It allows for the sentences to flow through ease.
Script: This font is elegant, professional and light. It is used maximum on certificates, diplomas and any formal invites. Using this font sparingly is advised mostly. Never make it a choice to be used in small places.
Display: This font is often seen movie posters, banners and newspapers. It is designed in a way to grab the onlooker’s attention in a certain area of the entire graphic piece. A little goes a long way and hence there is no need to make use of it in large quantities.
Hand-lettering: Fonts like these are hand rendered. They look like that a child has written it. Designers love these fonts because these add human touch to the design which the people can relate to.
The best designing tutorials on typography enlisted below:
1. Typography basics explained
If you are dazed about the typography terms, this snappy and short video will be your answer to those puzzles. The most wondered about terms explored in this video are leading, kerning, hierarchy, display type, body copy etc. You can also learn about tracking, orphans, windows, script, cursive and serif-sans fonts). A mandatory mention in this extensive list of designing tutorials.
2. Crash course in Typography
The presenter Cameron Chapman will give you easily digestible details on the concept of typography and all its elementary aspects.
3. Everything you need to learn typography basic
This extensive blog on graphic design techniques is presented from the point of view of a marketing professional who lays the importance of strengthening a brand by highlighting the central message of the campaign.
4. Beginning graphic design
This is a quick animated video which is dotted with jaunty music pieces that smartly runs through the typography basics including the common terms & its various types. The text version of this tutorial can be read in this link.
5. Typography terms every designer must know
This informative blog represents the concepts and fundamentals of the typography rules that are followed by illustrated and detailed glossary of the main terms.
6. Lecture 110: Introduction to typography
This video, as one of the most viewed designing tutorials provides a detailed overview of the typography that includes both the definition terms & a practical guide on how to place a text and also create character and paragraph styles in the tool of Adobe InDesign CC.
7. Paragraphs and special characters
In this informative, a typographic tutorial, Cameron Chapman tells you that designing headers and titles can also be artistic along with the body of the text. You can discover it in this step-by-step guide.
All you need is a helping hand…
It is not always possible for businesses to have a different or separate creative department that will look after all its online or digital branding endeavors. A typography tutorial can be helpful for the amateurs, but in the bigger picture, these graphic design tutorials for beginners can seldom be the ultimate teacher for the professionals. In cases like these, a business can always opt for taking external help of designing agencies that comprise of some of the best talents in the market. Seek their help and watch how your project is delivered with the ultimate edge of professionalism that will take your business to a new height.